Wednesday, 25 July 2007

Better than Supergirl (2)

Along with lots of work by other artists, Comic Art Community has a huge collection of convention sketches by Adam Hughes. As you might guess, 99% of it is cheesecake (the other 1% is mostly Star Wars). But what is really impressive is the way his strong sense of design permeates even these rush jobs.

This Super-Lois is a fine example. You could almost imagine it as a Fleischer cartoon title card (if those were vertically oriented), with a spot on Shuster-styled face and more than a hint of Rosie the Riveter. The heart-shaped emblem also reminds me of the St Trinian’s school badge, but that must be coincidence.

No comments: