Friday 10 August 2007

Johnny-Come-Lately at the Fights

While I’ve been using my Friday night posts to witter on about Doctor Who, all the cool kids have been round at Bahlactus’s place, watching the fights.

So, let’s see. We need intense violence, devastating hand-to-hand-combat, that sort of thing.

I know: gladiators! That’s just the ticket.



Yes, this is what we want.




Er…


Hold on, that can’t be right.






Oh, dear, I don’t think I’ve got the hang of this.


Well, maybe next time.


Panels
Asterix the Gladiator, text by René Goscinny, drawings by Albert Uderzo, 1964, translated by Anthea Bell and Derek Hockridge, Brockhampton Press, 1969

3 comments:

Siskoid said...

Brilliant.

Kieron said...

The whole Gladiator sequence is one of my favourite bits in all of Asterix. I find myself quoting it with worrying regularity.

KG

Steve Flanagan said...

It's even better in the original album, of course, with the panel layouts intact and the running jokes connected up (and probably better still in the original French, but I'm an ignorant monoglot anglophone these days).